Thursday 1 June 2017

How I bounced back postpartum (no fad-diets here)


Please don't hate me - but this post is probably quite deceiving because I actually didn’t do anything to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight I literally just “bounced” back. I wanted to document it because it’s different for every woman out there. Some women spend months or even years trying to lose their baby weight, others don’t put on any pregnancy weight and then there’s me.

I put on 2 stone in pregnancy. I went from 7 stone when I was 10 weeks pregnant to 9 stone 2 lbs by my due date. I truly hated it. I felt fat from the start. I remember complaining I was fat at 12 weeks pregnant and that was nothing on my weight at the end of pregnancy. I’ve always struggled with a negative body image, so my changing pregnancy body was a bit of an emotional and psychological battle for me. 


As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I kind of just started eating like a pig. Instead of taking a healthy lunch to work, I'd buy it most days. I'd have one or two chocolate bars most days and I really wasn't healthy at all. As soon as I went into the second trimester however, I'd almost gained a stone so I decided to get back to eating healthily again. The weight was going on very slowly at this point, until Christmas and the third trimester hit.

I was constantly hungry and craving junk food like donuts and chocolate, so I decided to just let myself enjoy the food I was craving. It was an emotional battle sometimes, but I was adamant I could easily lose the weight once I'd had Noah (I didn't realise just quite how easily!). But as my due date approached, I was really struggling with my physical appearance. I felt huge. Yet, I still couldn't stop eating loads because I was just so, so hungry.

So I was extremely surprised that once I had Noah, I was back to me, basically. I mean look at the photo, my belly wasn’t huge, but it was a fair size. Noah also wasn’t huge at 6 lbs 11 oz, but he was a good size (I was 11 days overdue however so he had extra time to cook!). So the weirdest thing of all (and was commented on my family and friends) was how, the second I gave birth to Noah, my belly had gone. 

It had completely gone. There was no bump and there was very little sag. It was almost like my pre-pregnancy belly was back?! It was really hard for me. I was emotional because even at that point, I missed my belly. It was truly the weirdest feeling in the world. I couldn’t stand up because that just intensified that feeling and I felt sick. It was a real struggle. And it honestly took me about a week to get used to it.


(These pictures were taken the day after I gave birth)

A few days after birth, I decided to hop on the scales to see what the damage was and I was pleasantly surprised! I’d basically lost all of my pregnancy weight?! How did that happen? I guess it was all baby? But, I mean, even my legs felt slimmer. It was truly odd. But I suppose I hadn’t eaten properly for a week (from the Friday when I started experiencing the contractions) and I felt sick for a good few days once Noah was home and couldn't stomach much food.  

Here I am, 6 weeks later and I’ve a lost a few extra lbs and my belly has tightened up a little bit. I'm pretty happy.



I’m hoping to start exercising again soon, when I find the time, energy and motivation. Me and Noah have both been poorly the past week so I haven't started yet. But one day soon I'm hoping to start doing some sit ups and bits and bobs to tone up a little.

Eventually I'll be going back to following Cassey Ho’s Blogilates routines on YouTube. I absolutely adore her and her routines are perfect for people with a busy schedule (which is a definite yes when you have a newborn). She mixes Pilates and Cardio to create a monthly plan of fun, heart-pumping routines. There are some HIIT workouts in there - which are great because if you have no time to exercise, they really get your heart-pumping just for 5 minutes. So you don't have to strictly follow the plan, just pick some videos that you have time to do that day. She also has a beginner’s calendar and normal calendar which is really useful if you’ve been out of the game for a while (like me!)


I’m excited and motivated to make my body stronger, healthier and *sexier* than it was before I had Noah. Eep!

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ayse Lulu | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig