Wednesday 5 October 2016

Migraines, nose bleeds and belly aches: Second trimester blues



The first and last trimesters are said to be the worst. I am so glad I've reached the second trimester, not only because I'm supposed to start feeling better, but it's that one step closing to meeting baby.

However, so far, the second trimester hasn't been all a barrel of laughs with a bundle of energy. Oh no. Yeah, so the nausea basically said it's farewell at 12 weeks, my spots are clearing up, no weird itchy feelings...But migraines with aura, you'll still here. Belly aches, you're getting worse. And hello to nose bleeds. Something I have NEVER experienced.

But at the end of the day, I'm in the second trimester and I couldn't be more excited. Just over a month until I get to see baby again and another big milestone is hit. 20 weeks! 20 weeks, wow. It feels absolutely, completely and utterly AMAZING. My god, this is going quicker than I thought it would.

So anyway, back to my post.

Migraines, nose bleeds and belly aches.

They suck. They hurt. And they make my sad. However, there's always one thing that makes me happy. Taking my camera out for a little stroll. That's my number one tip during pregnancy if you're feeling like crap. Go for a stroll. Autumn is coming and it couldn't be more beautiful outside.



Here are some other tips for dealing with each of these 3 symptoms, which could all be pretty new to you, as they were for me.

Nose bleeds
I hate nosebleeds already and the first time I ever had one was during pregnancy. 
  • Don't panic. I hate nosebleeds. This is the first time I've ever had them. My friends always used to get them at school and I'd be jealous. So not jealous anymore. Poor girls.
  • Pinch nose, just above nostrils and lean FORWARD (me and my dad had a debate about this - he said lean back, I said no because that's not what you are supposed to do anymore, he said how should I know I've never had a nosebleed before and so on) for about 10 minutes (that's the pinching of the nose not our debate) 
  • Breath through your mouth (so you know, the blood drains down your nose and not down the back of your throat - obvs) 
  • Stay upright 
  • And continue this pressure until the bleeding stops Avoid blowing your nose, bending down and strenuous activity for at least 12 hours after.  

Migraines 

I've had a migraine for 3 days straight (so far). With aura.
  • Shower (didn't work) 
  • Nap regularly - if you don't work, work part-time, work from home, have your business etc. then this will work for you. Unfortunately I work full-time, blog when I get in from work and on weekends, so getting 8 hours a night is just about ok for me! But napping definitely works. Lay in a dark room with a cold compress on your forehead, in silence and close your eyes. Peace. 
  • Avoid stress. My favourite tip. Like that's possible? But no, there are ways to help avoid this. Talk to a loved on, writing a journal to get your thoughts out, meditation and so on. 
  • Exercise regularly. Swimming, walking or riding a bike. This reduces the chance of getting migraines. Once a migraine has struck, don't whip out your gym gear and go for a run! It'll only make your symptoms worse. 
  • Make a migraine journal. It could be caused by something you ate. So far, nothing seems to strike me, but keeping a journal is a good idea still. Some common food triggers include: Chocolate, Bananas, nuts and onions.

Belly cramps
From constipation to round ligament pain, there are a number of common reasons why your experiencing abdominal pain that aren't scary or something you need to consult your doctor about.

At first, I was really worried about my symptoms, pain down the left side of abdominals, pain really low down. Turns it, its not really that scary. Painful, yes, but they are totally benign. So don't panic. But it's better to be safe than sorry, so if you are worried, go to your GP.

To help subside the pain, my top tips are:
  • Have a warm (but not too hot) bath - Grab a book, put some low music on and relaxxxxx... Soon enough you'll forget about that pain. Hopefully.
  • Eat frequent, small meals - When your uterus is growing, it can you to feel really full which subsequently can cause some pain If you eat regular, small meals, this full feeling should ease, thus easing the pain...
  • Eat foods high in fiber - This reduces the chance of constipation, which we all know causes pain in your belly (Sorry TMI).
  • Exercise as often as you can - But don't push yourself too much though. Exercising in moderation is key. 
  • Drink lots of water!
  • Empty your bladder as often as you need to
  • Rest! And relax! - Stress can cause belly aches at the best of  times, especially whilst you are pregnant. Make sure you are not over-doing it, nap and rest when needed.
If you want any information or are worried about the pain you may be experiencing, the best thing to do is book an emergency appointment with your doctor. That's what I'm going to do, because I've had a migraine for almost a week straight now, with belly aches several times a day and an occasional nose bleed! Although, I am not too worried about baby, I think it's best to get it checked out AND I am kind of fed up of having a migraine if I'm honest. Productivity, concentration, happiness levels struggling majorly. Now, I'm off for a nap!

But first, here's a baby bump update at 15 weeks:


Do you have any tips you'd like to share? Get in touch on bloglovin' http://bit.ly/2dobNa3 or twitter @iamayselulu. 
Share:

2 comments

  1. Migraines are definitely no fun. I suffer from familial hemiplegic migraines so I feel your pain. Have you tried balancing your potassium to salt ratio? I know if might sound a little farfetched but it has done wonders to aid in preventing my migraines. Next time you feel one coming on, look at what you ate that day. If you're low in sodium (which most people tend to be), simply put a pinch of salt under your tongue and let it dissolve (do not swish it around or anything). Look into the Stanton Migraine Protocol. It's worked well for me. Doesn't work 100% of the time but has been quite helpful!

    Stephanie
    Adventures in Aussieland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! No they are definitely not, I've only been suffering for the past few weeks so I can't imagine how you must be feeling! Oh wow! That's amazing, I hadn't even thought to link that! I had a blood tests a few months ago and actually had low sodium levels, so you know what, they could be it! Because I really don't think I have a lot of salt in my diet. I will try that, as still, the migraines haven't gone.

      Thank you so much! And I hope you are feeling ok :)

      Delete

© Ayse Lulu | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig